Thursday, March 24, 2011

Out of the Mouth of Babes...

Yesterday the news was airing on TV when my grandchildren were visiting.  My exceptionally bright 7-year old asked, "Gram, what's a pro-lifer?"  Evidently, some reporter was giving his take on the subject and she didn't understand the whole point of his discourse.

Anyone who reads my blog knows this subject matter gives status to the hairs on the back of my neck, BUT, I also am a big believer in giving children facts and letting them come to their own conclusions.  After a 30 second simplified definition of the phrase, she seemed satisfied and went back to drawing. 

As I set watching the latest charactercher of her best friend, I had an epiphany.  EVERYONE is pro-life and NO ONE is pro-abortion.  Let me explain like I would to my 7-year old granddaughter...

People prefer life to death unless there are some serious mental issues involved, so EVERYONE is pro-life.  However, no one wants an abortion.  That's like saying pro-appendectomy or pro-colonoscopy...YECH!  An abortion is an invasive medical procedure just like hundreds of others performed routinely throughout the medical world.  So NO ONE is pro-abortion!  Who wants surgery?!

ANNNNNDDDDD one thought leads to another...Can you imagine!?  ANY medical procedure requires the person to sign a release for surgery because...?  Yes!  An invasive procedure performed on one's body is a personal decision.  OMG...What if our U.S. Congress starts passing legislation limiting who can and cannot choose to have surgery?  OOOOOOPS...

My bad...My bad...Let's hope a band of like thinkers don't decide a pollup is God's way of punishing human beings for their bad eating habits, gain political clout and...well...catch my drift?

No comments: